[Dovecot] Poll: Quota near full behavior? [Was: Feature request? Make deliver quota inclusive!]

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Fri Feb 19 23:59:00 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 06:10 -0500, Charles Marcus wrote:

> > I certainly wouldn't want to accept a message in this case, user
> > might be 1K under quota, but get 20m file now that might be a
> > whoopie doo :) but what if 130K users did same.
>
> Well, I'd argue that if you're allowing messages that big already for
> 130K users, then you should have enough spare storage to handle such a
> situation - although you and I both know the likelihood of even 10% of
> those 130K users encountering such a situation is next to null, so I
> don't think it's a valid argument.

Storage is designed based on guaranteed quota storage for each user,
plus anticipated growth
Why should we suffer huge expense just so every user who maxes out their
quota can exceed it?

Your idea might be fine for a small home office, but when you deal with
thousands of users, it is
an insane configuration.

> That said - in an enterprise environment like that, you'd be assigning
> group and domain level quotas too to keep any one group/customer from
> using up all of the storage on the server, right?

No,  think an ISP or University student mail system.