[Dovecot] 1.2.10: namespaces and still no luck

Toni Mueller support at oeko.net
Tue Feb 23 18:16:59 EET 2010

Hi,

I'm trying to set Dovecot up in a way that is compatible with console
usage of the same mailboxes (ie, w/o IMAP). My mailboxen are almost all
maildirs (I can ignore all other formats), and are laid out as follows:

INBOX = ~/Maildir

All other folders are maildirs in ~/Mail

Eg. ~/Mail/archive, ~/Mail/sent, ~/Mail/some-mailing-list

I configured this, along the lines of http://wiki.dovecot.org/Namespaces:

# I unset 'mail_location'

namespace private {
   separator = '/'
   prefix =
   location = maildir:~/Maildir
   inbox = yes
   list = yes
   subscriptions = yes
}

namespace private {
   separator = /
   prefix = archives/
   location = maildir:~/Mail
   hidden = no
   #subscriptions = yes
   inbox = no
   list = yes
}

which I thought should do it, but it doesn't. In TB (3, if it matters), I see:

Inbox
Trash
archives
  Trash
  Inbox (shaded)
    directory (shaded)

And that's about it. I don't see any of the pre-existing maildirs in
~/Mail. I also can't delete the two additional "Inbox" and "Trash"
folders, and I can't subscribe to the second "Inbox", nor to
"directory". I proceeded to create a new folder under "archives", which
mostly ended up to be a new maildir + index files under ~/Mail, but it
had a '.' in front of it. Also, the separator was automatically reset to
'.' for the second namespace, as I found out when I renamed one of the
directories from 'dir.1' to '.dir.1'.

Am I still doing something wrong, or is this a bug or limitation in
Dovecot, or in this version of it?

Kind regards,
--Toni++