[Dovecot] Duplicate Elimination

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Wed Feb 24 16:51:43 EET 2010

On 24.2.2010, at 16.15, Steffen Kaiser wrote:

>> group1: user1 at example.com,user2 at example.com
>> group2: user1 at example.com,user3 at example.com
>>
>> If i am sending a mail to group1 and group2. It is going two times a
>> single mail to the user1 mailbox. But in dovecot it is not eliminating
>> since it has the same message-id. Previously i was able to accomplish this
>> task with cyrus duplicate elimination.
>
> "two times a single mail to the user1 mailbox"
> actually I do expect that the MTA detects the duplication of the two aliases and does NOT send the mail two times to user1.

Yeah, I think that's what I answered before too. Dovecot currently has no duplicate elimination code.

 (I hate the whole concept of dropping incoming messages as duplicates based on Message-ID. I would definitely want it disabled for my own mails, for example that would mean I couldn't filter messages to mailing lists based on List-ID: header, because the first mail usually comes directly from the other user, and then the second mail with the List-ID: would get dropped.)