[Dovecot] problem with master db and dovecot-2.0.beta3

Oliver Eales jester at arcor.de
Wed Feb 24 18:53:17 EET 2010

Hello,
i am currenty testing dovecot 2.0.beta3 and ran into a problem with the
master-db setting.
For our webmail access we are sucessfully using the following settings
with dovecot-1.2.10

auth_master_user_separator =*
auth default {
    mechanisms = plain
    passdb passwd-file {
        args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.masterusers
        master = yes
        pass = yes
    }
    passdb ldap {
        args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
     }
}

when "converting" the settings to version 2.0 i tried the following:

auth_mechanisms = plain
auth_master_user_separator = *
passdb {
  driver = passwd-file
  args = /etc/dovecot/passwd.masterusers
  master = yes
  pass = yes
}
passdb {
   driver = ldap
   args = /etc/dovecot/dovecot-ldap.conf
 }

But when i try to login, the auth process gets stalled with the
following log entry:
auth: Fatal: Master passdb can't have pass=yes if there are no passdbs
master: Error: service(auth): command startup failed, throttling

Am i doing something wrong or is it problem with the 2.0-beta ?

Regards,
Oliver Eales