[Dovecot] **OFF LIST** Re: body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Eric Rostetter rostetter at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Feb 25 07:04:35 EET 2010

Quoting Stan Hoeppner <stan at hardwarefreak.com>:

>> I'm running mbox with 1.2 and not seeing any problems...  But that may be
>> because I threw a lot of hardware at it?
>
> Hi Eric.  Not sure if even fast hardware searching 11,000+ message count
> mbox'en without an FTS plugin would give speedy results, given Timo's
> discovery of earlier today.

Can't say, as I don't personally have a 11K+ message mbox handy that I
can run the test on.  I just don't keep that much mail around of my own...

But it works okay on my 4K to 5K message mbox files, which are the largest
I have...  Usually takes about 1 second per 1K messages, so about 4 seconds
for the 4K mbox, 5 seconds for the 5K mbox, etc.  Of course, a bit slower
when the server is overly busy...  I've had it take 10 or 12 seconds before...

I do have users with large mbox files (12K+) who have never complained,
but that doesn't mean much...  I don't know which ones do body searches,
or how often they do them, etc.  And not all users complain even when there
is a slowness or outright problem...

So, no scientific data... But no complaints here...  Then again, I only have
a small number of users with mboxes that large... We discourage that kind of
thing here...

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics