[Dovecot] IMAP Folders Don't Make Sense

Rick Romero rick at havokmon.com
Thu Feb 25 21:19:51 EET 2010

Quoting "Carlos Williams" <carloswill at gmail.com>:

> On Thu, Feb 25, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Frank Elsner
> <frank at moltke28.b.shuttle.de> wrote:
>> It might be useful to tell Thunderbird not only to show subscribed folders.
>> Edit -> Account settings -> Server settings -> Advanced, first check box.
>>
>> There are some MUAs which create folders but do not add subscriptions
>> for the folders. The sylpheed I currently use is such a beast :-)
>
> In Thunderbird that option is already checked and it wouldn't explain
> why webmail (RoundCube) shows the exact same thing. I can't delete the
> folder from Thunderbird and I don't see it when I login to the mail
> server via shell. I am thinking there is something wrong with the
> folder listing or something like that.

The entire structure doesn't look correct for Maildir.
The folders you listed, puts you already in the INBOX, so your MUA
should be seeing:
INBOX\
       Drafts
       INBOX\
             ClamAV
             Dell.Quotes
             Dell.Warranty
             etc.etc.etc..
       Sent
       Spam
       Trash

If you are not seeing the folders in that order, then I think your
dovecot.conf isn't quite right.  Please post the output of dovecot -n

Rick