[Dovecot] any limitations running on a Mac?

Terry Barnum terry at dop.com
Sat Feb 27 00:20:20 EET 2010

On Feb 25, 2010, at 9:42 PM, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On 26.2.2010, at 3.50, Terry Barnum wrote:
>
>> I looked at the wiki on dbox but shied away from it because the compatibility matrix said postfix didn't like it. Did I read that wrong?
>
> You need to be delivering mails with Dovecot LDA when using dbox. And that might help improve performance even when you're using maildir.

Thank you Timo. Sorry, my newbie misunderstanding of postfix and dovecot. I think I now understand the compatibility matrix to mean that postfix doesn't work with dbox or mdbox formats natively, it must use dovecot.

> With v2.0+ mdbox will probably work very nicely. dbox (with v1.x or v2.0) still uses one file/message and I guess if you had trouble with 5k+ messages in a mailbox with Maildir, you'll probably hit the same slowness with dbox.

The 500MB+, 5k+ message problem is with another mailserver not running postfix/dovecot. It's the reason I've started investigating postfix with your software and so far I"m very happy.

Thanks,
-Terry