[Dovecot] Dovecot 2.0b3 IDLE not advertised

Bernhard Schmidt berni at birkenwald.de
Sat Feb 27 01:54:31 EET 2010

Hi,

I'm not sure whether the client or the server is at fault (probably the
client), but it's clearly a regression for me.

I'm using the LCG Profimail (http://lonelycatgames.com/?app=profimail)
application for my Symbian smartphone which has quite decent IMAP
capabilities. Amongst others it can do IMAP IDLE (which has to be
statically enabled in the server settings, so it's not used based on the
server capabilities).

After upgrading from 1.2.10 to 2.0b3 it does not connect anymore. It
throws the error message "This server doesn't support IMAP IDLE
connection" in my face, even before it tries to authenticate

Feb 27 00:46:45 mail dovecot: imap-login: Disconnected (no auth
attempts): rip=93.104.73.132, lip=83.170.x.xx, TLS: Disconnected

The main difference seems to be that 1.2 advertises IDLE in capabilities
before authentication, but 2.0 does not:

1.2:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN] Dovecot ready.
o CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1 CONDSTORE QRESYNC
* ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH QUOTA STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN
o OK Capability completed.

2.0:
* OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN] Dovecot ready.
o CAPABILITY
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE STARTTLS AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=LOGIN
o OK Capability completed.
o LOGIN user password
* CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 LITERAL+ SASL-IR LOGIN-REFERRALS ID ENABLE SORT SORT=DISPLAY THREAD=REFERENCES THREAD=REFS MULTIAPPEND UNSELECT IDLE CHILDREN NAMESPACE UIDPLUS LIST-EXTENDED I18NLEVEL=1
* CONDSTORE QRESYNC ESEARCH ESORT SEARCHRES WITHIN CONTEXT=SEARCH LIST-STATUS QUOTA
o OK Logged in

I know there is the imap_capability setting which might help here, but
that looks like a very big hammer.

Bernhard