[Dovecot] body search very slow since upgrade from 1.0.15 to 1.2.10

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Feb 27 10:20:27 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen put forth on 2/25/2010 1:04 PM:
> On 24.2.2010, at 20.27, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
>> Looks like there's something very wrong with mbox with v1.2+. It's doing
>> a *lot* of message header parsing work that doesn't happen with v1.1 or
>> with other mailbox formats. Probably because I fixed some bugs where it
>> was wrongly caching some state, but now it's not caching it long enough.
>
> Looks like some input stream seeking optimizations are broken (when one input stream reads from another, which reads from another, ...). I already managed to fix the performance problem, but now it's corrupting saved mails sometimes. So a while longer to get it fully fixed :) And since it's a pretty big change, I'm not sure if I want to risk breaking v1.2 by changing it, so maybe it's v2.0 only.

I tend to agree with your judgment Timo.  While I've found that Squat is
less than optimal, for the same reasons you've mentioned, it is adequate for
now, and much better than without it!

I can't say for sure without side-by-side testing, but my recollection is
that standard search in 1.0.l5 was, overall, faster than Squat in 1.2.10,
specifically for the case where Squat has to re-index after a few new mails
have arrived in the mbox file.

If the fix must wait for 2.0, then it must wait.  I must say, if Squat
didn't exist, I'd probably be screaming like a baby demanding a fix right
now. ;)  I need my body search capability--use it almost daily.

Thanks again for your dedication to Dovecot Timo.  Without you we'd all be
running vastly inferior IMAP servers and would probably be frowning much of
the time instead of smiling. :)

--
Stan