[Dovecot] IMAP Folders Don't Make Sense

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Sat Feb 27 17:11:52 EET 2010

Brian Hayden put forth on 2/27/2010 8:28 AM:
> On Feb 27 2010, Stan Hoeppner wrote:

>> To add insult to injury, mailbox migration from Exch 5.5 IMAP to Dovecot
>> IMAP was done using TB as the conduit, simply copying folders from one
>> "account" to another.  Took forever, but it was the only reliable way I
>> could think of at the time to do it.  It actually went very smoothly.
>
> How large is the user base? Are the clients managed? And are you sure
> you haven't had any problems... only a very small number of users
> generally complain to relevant parties about a given issue, they grouse
> about it to their friends and colleagues.

Very small.  Manual client management.  No problems after the migration.  If
I complain, I'm sure I'll hear myself. ;)  The migration I mentioned was my
vanity server.  If I were supporting an IMAP infrastructure at a $dayjob
environment I would have never gone this route.  And I probably wouldn't
have been upgrading directly from Exchange 5.5 (which was EOL'd in like 1999
or 2000) to Dovecot 1.0.15.  ;)  I can't imagine an org that would have held
onto Exch 5.5 into 2009, given that service packs and hotfixes ceased around
a decade ago.

> It's definitely possible to make it work with tight control. In a large,
> unmanaged environment, it really isn't. Unless you want to posit that
> the 80k users I dealt with for ten years on this were exceptionally
> stupid. ;)

That would depend on who those 80K users were.  If they were federal
employees, worse yet, HUD or USPS employees, I'd guess the stupidity meter
would run pretty high. ;)

--
Stan