[Dovecot] architecture to handle 1000 messages per second?

Bob Eastbrook baconeater789 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 2 01:15:01 EET 2010

On Fri, Jan 1, 2010 at 3:07 PM, Thomas Løcke <thomas.granvej6 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bob,
>
> Just to make sure I understand you: Some app is sending emails to
> orders at example.com at the rate of 1000 per second, and another app is
> fetching email from orders at example.com to process them?

Hello,

Actually, thousands of customers would send order emails to a system
running postifx.  All orders end up in orders at example.com.  Then,
another app fetches these emails via Dovecot (POP or IMAP), ideally at
the rate of 1000 per second.

I think it might be difficult to accomplish this via POP since I think
Dovecot would have to lock the account while doing the POP downloads.
This makes it difficult to have more than one app downloading at a
time.

Cheers,
Bob