[Dovecot] Issue Authenticating to a new dovecot-postfix installation

Sat Jan 2 01:49:04 EET 2010

On 2009-12-31 7:01 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> On Thu, 2009-12-31 at 16:21 -0500, Jerry wrote:
>>> Dunno. Above the private field appears to be "-" (the one after
>>> unix). I don't know why Postfix would see it as "--n".

>> Maybe asking  Wietse Venema <wietse at porcupine.org> might prove
>> insightful.

> wouldnt do that, he gets very touchy with people emailing him directly,

Understandable...

> he wants people to sub to his useless err i mean users mailing list :)

Funny... not... the postfix list is one of the more useful lists I've
ever been subscribed to - almost as useful as the dovecot list, but not
as friendly...

> I asked him why postfix double lookups and looks up other stuff after
> its got a clear "not here", he said not to email him personally send to
> list, where it was also ignored, so i wouldnt waste my time asking
> him :)

So one question fell through the cracks a couple of weeks before
Christmas (lots of people get busy this time of year), so you rudely
slam him and the postfix list? Not very nice.

Maybe you should ask your question again, and maybe it would help if you
followed the instructions per the welcome message you received when you
joined the list:

TO REPORT A PROBLEM see:

At a minimum, postfix version, output of postconf -n and unedited
NON-verbose logs exhibiting the problem should be provided...