[Dovecot] Deliver virtual user's mail to a specific namespace?

Brian Schang dovecot at lists.schang.net
Sat Jan 2 16:09:58 EET 2010

Pascal:

On 1/2/2010 7:02 AM, Pascal Volk wrote:
> On 01/02/2010 05:23 AM Brian Schang wrote:

>> Now I want to make my setup more robust and have these messages
>> delivered to a maildir namespace.
>>
>> I have configured the LDA within the Postfix master.cf file:
>> dovecot   unix  -       n       n       -       -       pipe
>>     	flags=DRhu user=vmail:vmail argv=/usr/lib/dovecot/deliver -f
>> ${sender} -d ${recipient}
>>
>> I have configured the 'dovecot' transport within Postfix in the
>> transport file:
>> test at lists.schang.net           dovecot:
>> 'test at lists.schang.net', how do I tell Dovecot/deliver to put the
>> message in the 'test' mailbox within the 'Lists/' namespace?
>>
>> I'd appreciate any insight.
>>

> Use delivers -m parameter, works also with namespaces since Dovecot
> v1.1.x. See http://wiki.dovecot.org/LDA#Parameters for details.

How do I use the -m parameter from within Postfix? Does that need to be
included in the LDA definition within master.cf?

I have a total of about ten email address and I'd like each put into a
different mailbox. By using the -m parameter, I can set up ten dovecot
configurations within master.cf and then map each email address via the
transport table. I can see how this will work, but it doesn't seem very
scalable. Is there any better way?

Or said another way: the -m parameter to deliver works beautifully when
I use it from within procmail for other email addresses. But how do I
efficiently use the -m parameter (or equivalent) from within postfix
given that I have about 10 namespace/mailbox combinations to put mail into?

Thank you.