[Dovecot] nested folders

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sat Jan 2 18:45:25 EET 2010

On 2.1.2010, at 3.02, Jim Pazarena wrote:

> using both thunderbird and roundcube with dovecot IMAP, I can create
> all the folders I desire, but cannot create subfolders; I also cannot
> delete a folder once created.
>
> I get a very un-informative error message from each. Is there a special
> setting required to permit sub-folder creation? folder deletion?
>
> I've got 770 mail:mail virtual_user_home
>             770 mail:mail  mail_sub-directory
>                 770  mail:mail   .imap

So you're using mbox format. It doesn't support folders that have mails and subfolders. So either

a) Switch to maildir format and everything will work as you expect

b) When you want to create a folder that can have subfolders, create e.g. "foo/", with the trailing / character. Or you could directly just create "foo/bar" without foo even existing.

The folder deletion is probably also because of TB stupidness. http://wiki.dovecot.org/Clients#Thunderbird