[Dovecot] First time Dovecot user, really impressed so far. What is best IMAP enabled webmail package to go with Dovecot?

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Mon Jan 4 23:00:33 EET 2010

Greetings everyone,

I'm new to the list as of today.  I just installed Dovecot a couple of days ago
for the first time, Debian Lenny Dovecot v1.0.15-2.3.  So far I'm pretty
impressed.  I'm using mbox format with Dovecot auto-deciding to place mail in
user home directories, which is great.  It works very well with the Win32
Thunderbird 3 client over a small basic 100FDX switched net.  I've got one list
mail folder with 10,600 messages and server side body searching that folder via
T-Bird is very quick, on the order of 5 seconds.  It would probably be quicker
if Dovecot threaded the search to use both CPUs, but pegging just the one CPU
the search is still very darn quick.  And this is on a dual P2-550 class machine
with only 384MB RAM and a single 500GB 7200RPM SATA drive.

I'd like to install a webmail package on the same host.  I used Squirrelmail for
this purpose many years ago and I wasn't wholly impressed with the user
interface.  I'm also not impressed by the fact that I regularly receive spam
from compromised Squirrelmail hosts/accounts.  I really like the look/feel of
the Scalix Web Access AJAX based interface, but I can't/won't use Scalix as it's
not supported on Debian, it has more features than I need, and the system
requirements are a bit steep.

So, what's the best FOSS IMAP enabled web mail front end with a modern
look/feel?  I'd like to run it on lighttpd, which I'm already using, not apache.

Thanks in advance for any advice.  My apologies if my first post is a little OT,
but I figured there's probably no better place to ask about the best webmail
front end for Dovecot than here.

--
Stan