[Dovecot] Dovecot not delivering mail.

Anthony Nedland anthony.nedland at baldwin-telecom.net
Tue Jan 5 20:25:42 EET 2010

Anthony Nedland wrote:
>> Charles Marcus wrote:

>>> Ouch... that adds a big wrinkle to troubleshooting, especially if a
>>> file
>>> *does* exist at the default location...
>>>

>> Ok I have a new development.
>> When I try to send to a user in my domain from a domain other than my
>> own I get an error.
>>
>> For example, I sent to duane at baldtel.com from an external address.
>> The server returned the error 'user duane does not exist' in the form
>> of an undeliverable bounce back email.
>>
>> When I configure outlook for the user and when I log in on telnet, I
>> have to use duane at baldtel.com as the user to log into the server. I
>> assume this means that the username is actually 'duane at baldtel.com'
>> rather than duane. I know that when I usually set up pop3 in outlook
>> with other servers I would just put the part before the @ on the
>> email into the server information field (user/pass). This means that
>> with other servers the username actually would have been duane usually.
>>
>> I only get this message back when sending from another server. When I
>> send from my server, the email appears to have gone out. It just
>> never arrives.
>>

> OK I checked the table info in mysql. It says under the 'mailbox'
> table that the username is duane at baldtel.com and that the domain is
> baldtel.com. Shouldn't the username field be duane? Based on the
> messages I have above, it seems this may be causing the problem. If
> that is the case, how would I change what is inserted into the table?
> I am using postfixadmin to create users. Does this mean it would be a
> matter of changing files related to postfixadmin, or is there still a
> place in dovecot configurations where I would need to change something?

Still having the same problem.
I checked some things to try and find reasons it may not be delivering
the mail.
In my dovecot-postfix.conf mail_location = maildir:/var/vmail/%d/%n
I looked in that directory and found that for the user duane at baldtel.com
the directory for new mail is
/var/vmail/baldtel.com/duane/new/
If I touch a file in that directory, the client downloads it as an email.
It seems that the issue is that dovecot isn't putting messages in this
directory.
Any ideas where it could be failing to perform that task? Maybe where it
needs to actually tell dovecot to perform this command.
The mail shouldn't be stored in the SQLdb right? It should be sent to
that folder right?