[Dovecot] Dovecot not delivering mail.

Thomas Wolf tw at wsf.at
Wed Jan 6 15:15:22 EET 2010

Timo Sirainen schrieb:
> On 5.1.2010, at 13.55, Charles Marcus wrote:
>
>> In other words, would you really have to remember to run dovecot -n -c
>> per your example above?
>>
>> I ask because I've never used it with a config file in a non-default
>> location.
>>
>> If this is correct, I would consider it a bug - dovecot -n should know
>> which config file it is using, and outout accordingly.
>
> How would it know what config file Dovecot is using? The config file needs to be read before it even knows where the base_dir is.
 > What if there are multiple Dovecots running? The main problem
 > here is that Ubuntu for some reason decided to use dovecot-postfix.conf
 > instead of the default dovecot.conf..

Depends on the package that is installed:

tw at mail2:~$ apt-cache search dovecot
dovecot-common - secure mail server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-dev - header files for the dovecot mail server
dovecot-imapd - secure IMAP server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-pop3d - secure POP3 server that supports mbox and maildir mailboxes
dovecot-postfix - full mail server stack provided by Ubuntu server team

The package "dovecot-postfix" installs and uses dovecot-postfix.conf but
unfortunately also puts the default dovecot.conf in /etc/dovecot
(driving everyone crazy who blindly follows howtos editing
dovecot.conf). Highly recommended to remove/rename dovecot.conf in this
configuration.

Thomas