[Dovecot] Dovecot not delivering mail.

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Wed Jan 6 17:20:16 EET 2010

On 01/06/2010 03:44 PM Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-01-06 7:20 AM, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>> On 5.1.2010, at 13.55, Charles Marcus wrote:
>>> dovecot -n should know which config file it is using, and outout
>>> accordingly.
>
>> How would it know what config file Dovecot is using? The config file
>> needs to be read before it even knows where the base_dir is.
>
> I don't know - :( - but I'm pretty sure postfix does it somehow...

Postfix's master uses also the -c option. But -c config_dir, because
Postfix searches its main.cf and master.cf configuration files in the
given config_dir. (see master(8))

>> What if there are multiple Dovecots running?
>
> Hmmm... good point, don't know on that one, and I've never run multiple
> postfix instances, so don't know if/what it dos in that case either...

Each instance has its own configuration/data/spool directories with all
instance specific files.
And yes, a `postconf -n` for one the multi instances is more complex
than a simple `dovecot -n -c /path/to/funny-name.conf`. Looks like this:
postmulti -i $INSTANCE_NAME  -x postconf -n

Regards;
Pascal
The trapper recommends today: face1e55.1000616 at localdomain.org