[Dovecot] IMAP client dependence on dovecot mail storage fromat?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 13:22:04 EET 2010

It might be useful to add this conversation here:

On Friday 08 January 2010 22:43:27 Ingo Klöcker wrote:
> On Friday 08 January 2010, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> >  On top of that, its impossible
> >  to create and access a new folder with KMail on my dovecot: it
> >  doesn't happen, that a new folder would be created with name
> >  "newfolder" into "parrentfolder", but along with the latter
> >  "parrentfolder.newfolder" is created!
>
> Hmm. "parentfolder.newfolder" sounds like maildir++. All KMail (and also
> Thunderbird) does is tell the IMAP server to create a folder "newfolder"
> below the folder "parentfolder". It's up to dovecot to actually create
> the folder in its storage as needed. I cannot imagine why a folder
> created by Thunderbird results in parentfolder/newfolder while a folder
> created by KMail results in parentfolder.newfolder unless you switched
> dovecot's storage format.
Well, that is weird to me as I didn't! No joke, I did again:
Thunderbird 3.0;
KMail 1.12.1 Using KDE 4.3.1 (KDE 4.3.1);
dovecot-1.2.6;
So:
1) create folder TOP with KMail, then create a subfolder sub, which results
in: "TOP" and "TOP.sub" (both prepared as maildirs with cur,new,tmp and
maildirfolder file);
2) create folder "TOP2" on the same fs level with Thunderbird, then create a
subfolder "sub2" into it, which results in: "TOP2" prepared and containing
"sub2" also prepared (prepared just like with KMail).

So... Its reality!