[Dovecot] Same filenames on different servers?

Alexander Chekalin achekalin at lazurit.com
Mon Jan 11 16:38:55 EET 2010

I see the only option I have is to use filesystem sync and not rsync.
Frankly I'd rather use rsync and not play with GEOM (I'm on FreeBSD) on
servers right now.

The problem as I've said is not sync itself but rather Dovecot's way of
treating files. You can test it yourself: go to your our cur/ dir, and
copy any message to new/ dir, and then login to the mailbox with IMAP
client. As soon as these messages are identical I'd expect Dovecot to
remove one of it but Dovecot simple rename second message file so you'll
see two identical messages in your INBOX in mail client.

That's what is strange for me. I can fight it on IMAP level (compare
messages and find duplicates) but this way won't look nice.

Your,
   Alexander