[Dovecot] handling filename of compressed messages

Leonardo Rodrigues leolistas at solutti.com.br
Sun Jan 17 16:06:10 EET 2010

Leonardo Rodrigues escreveu:
> Curtis Maloney escreveu:
>>
>> Timo -- any tips on helping dovecot deliver compress mails on delivery?
>>
>> It would solve a lot of problems here, from what I can see, to have a
>> deliver plugin that compresses on delivery and sets the Z flag in the
>> filename.
>
>    that would be indeed lovely !!!! when this feature gets implemented
> on dovecot delivery agent, i'll definitely stop using postfix virtual
> delivery agent.

    again on this subject of compressing files ..... i understand
perfectly that i really dont want the '.gz' or '.bz2' filename. I dont
want anything more than adding the Z flag to the compressed file.

    The 'script compress idea' from the Wiki page sais:

Dovecot can now read the file, but to avoid compressing it again on the
next run, you'll probably want to rename it again to include e.g. a "Z"
flag in the file name to mark that it was compressed (e.g.
1223212411.M907959P17184.host,S=3271:2,SZ).

    If i rename the file and add the Z flag, i will be braking the
dovecot-uidlist file, which contain the filenames without the Z flag.
Users would have to download the compressed files again because the
filename was changed. That on big mailboxes and slow connections
(specially after the very 1st compression routine run) can be a BIG problem.

    keeping the filename intact, not even adding the Z flag, would be a
great idea to avoid clients from redownloading messages ??? Compression
routines would probably have to use file command to identify already
compressed files, which would badly impact on the performance of its run
... not being able to identify already compressed files based on its
filename would be very bad ....

--

	Atenciosamente / Sincerily,
	Leonardo Rodrigues