[Dovecot] Dovecot Proxy and environment variables

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Jan 19 14:28:13 EET 2010

On Fri, 2010-01-15 at 17:27 +0100, BaQs wrote:
> Ok, found what happens
>

> I only catch public IP when using imap, not pop3.
>
> Any way to catch public IP using pop3 as well ?

No. Hmm. I hadn't thought about this for a while. It would require some
new XFORWARD command that sends it. But when to use it? There would be a
couple of possibilities:

a) Send it only when XFORWARD is listed in capabilities. This requires
POP3 proxy to ask for CAPA, which it currently doesn't, so it adds an
extra round trip = latency.

b) Just always send the XFORWARD command and if it fails, just ignore
the error.

c) Send it when banner string contains something special, such as
"Dovecot" string.

d) Send it when configured by config file / passdb.

I don't really like any of them. Perhaps b) wouldn't be too bad.