[Dovecot] Conditionally use a sieve script with deliver?

Kārlis Repsons karlis.repsons at gmail.com
Thu Jan 21 14:06:33 EET 2010

On Thursday 21 January 2010 11:13:22 Marcus Rueckert wrote:
> On 2010-01-20 21:11:59 +0000, Kārlis Repsons wrote:
> > I found a post in this list [0], which says sieve scripts can be used to
> > deliver mail as read. However, can it be done somehow conditionally, I
> > mean, with a direct or indirect switch for deliver?
> > For a nonexistent example, it would be simply
> > < | deliver -m path/to/maildir -r > or maybe an environment variable
> > could be exported to deliver sieve and checked there?
> >
> > (Still not sure if sieve can replace maildrop in my case, however, using
> > it with dovecot creates various problems with interoperability; but
> > perhaps I can just add those imap4flags like "\\seen" myself to the
> > message with maildrop and avoid mess with sieve at all?)
> >
> > [0] http://www.dovecot.org/list/dovecot/2008-July/032294.html
>
> just curious: what stops you from migrating your maildrop rules to
> sieve?
>
>     darix
[not about dovecot here]
My silly and honest answer is: the fact, that I found maildrop first some weeks
ago and it seemed very flexible (a feeling of security in a sense, that I won't
have "any" impossible thing), but then I came across the mentioned problem and
still I haven't learned much about sieve. So, if I have some 50KB of mailfilter
rules, which I want to divide across a tree of filter files, each of which can
inherit variables from their includers, handle mailinglists, sometimes deliver
copies to multiple maildirs, is there a reasonable chance I can do with sieve?