[Dovecot] mailbox format w/ separate headers/data

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Sat Jan 23 04:03:42 EET 2010

On Fri, 22 Jan 2010, Frank Cusack wrote:

> On January 22, 2010 11:05:22 PM +0200 Timo Sirainen <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
>> Dunno about zfs, but I've heard that at least in one NetApp installation
>> deduplication was way too heavyweight.
>
> zfs dedup is pretty resources intensive -- for writes.  For mail I
> suspect reads overwhelm writes?

Sorry for the tangent, but I wonder if anyone here is running lots of
Maildirs on zfs?  I just recently started experimenting with it on our
backups server (FBSD 8.0), and I really am liking it.  I was also
surprised at how my little 4 drive raidz volume performed in benchmarks -
quite impressive.

I'd seen some comments here in the past that zfs+maildirs = bad.  Anything
to back that up?  Any comparisons to UFS2 on FBSD?

For a number of reasons, running zfs on my main mail host would be very
handy (backups and easy expansion being the two big ones).

Thanks,

Charles