[Dovecot] Need simplest method for providing alternate mail location

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Sun Jan 24 23:22:44 EET 2010

On Wed, 2010-01-20 at 13:18 -0500, Stewart Dean wrote:
> 2) Having some sort of db to tell DC it a mail_userdb extra field and
> override the mail_location in dovecot.conf
> 3) Perhaps waiting for DC v2.0 which will have this architected in.
>
> A) Is there any sense the v2.0 will be coming Real Soon Now and will
> fulfill #3?

There's nothing in v2.0 that makes this easier. Or nothing I can think
of..

> B) What's the simplest way to implement #2?  I would really rather not
> install MySQL on my mail server and have all the overhead of installing
> and managing it when all I need it for is a temporary resource to tell
> DC where things are until the switchover is complete and Maildir is the
> default.  Is it feasible to do this with an additional flat file in the
> /etc/passwd mode with some extra fields tacked on that is *only* used
> for mail location info?  Or some other and simple way?

You could use a userdb passwd-file. If your users are currently
in /etc/passwd, just make a copy of it to dovecot.passwd or something
and add userdb_mail extra fields to it as needed. Once everyone are
migrated, change the default mail_location and move back to userdb
passwd. http://wiki.dovecot.org/AuthDatabase/PasswdFile

Of course if you have to add/delete users often it's going to be more
annoying since you have to modify two files.