[Dovecot] Want to have some users with Maildir, some with mbox

Stewart Dean sdean at bard.edu
Fri Jan 29 23:04:52 EET 2010

Want to have some users with Maildir, some with mbox, as I migrate from
mbox format to maildir over the space of a month.  After everyone is
converted to maildir, I'll change the mail_location in dovecot.conf.
During the interim, can I use the Custom mailbox location script (at the
bottom of the Mail Location DC Wiki page)?

> if [ -d $HOME/.maildir ]; then
>   export MAIL=maildir:$HOME/.maildir
> else
>   export MAIL=mbox:$HOME/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/$USER
> fi

Questions:
1) What does explicitly specifying MAIL this way override?  The
dovecot.conf mail_location variable?
2) My mail_location var is defined as:

mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/dcindx/%u

and my prospective maildir INBOX and mail folder root is to be
~/Maildir.  So would I change the above to:
> if [ -d $HOME/Maildir ]; then
>   export MAIL=maildir:$HOME/Maildir:INDEX=/var/dcindx/$USER
> else
>   export MAIL=mbox:$HOME/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/$USER:
> INDEX=/var/dcindx/$USER
> fi
Question 3:  When converting existing users from mbox to maildir, should
I delete the index contents?

Thanks in advance!

dovecot -n output

# 1.2.8: /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf
# OS: AIX 3 0001378F4C00
listen: *:143
ssl_listen: *:993
disable_plaintext_auth: no
verbose_ssl: yes
login_dir: /var/run/dovecot/login
login_executable: /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/imap-login
login_processes_count: 12
login_max_processes_count: 774
max_mail_processes: 1280
mail_max_userip_connections: 12
verbose_proctitle: yes
first_valid_uid: 200
mail_location: mbox:~/mail:INBOX=/var/spool/mail/%u:INDEX=/var/dcindx/%u
mbox_write_locks: fcntl
mbox_dirty_syncs: no
lda:
  postmaster_address: postmaster at example.com
auth default:
  passdb:
    driver: pam
  userdb:
    driver: passwd

--
==== Once upon a time, the Internet was a friendly,
neighbors-helping-neighbors small town, and no one locked their doors.