[Dovecot] Pigeon hole sieve binaries and dovecot header install

Mark Washenberger mwashenb at gmail.com
Sat Jan 30 15:26:15 EET 2010

Stephan,

I've recently been playing around with packaging dovecot 2.0 and
dovecot-2.0-pigeonhole, as well as the --enable-header-install configure
options of both. This lead me to the following question. Should pigeonhole's
sieve binaries rely on static libstorage / other dovecot libraries? It seems
like they should instead use shared libraries, but I couldn't find a
configure option to make this happen.

That way, I could break my packages up like so:

dovecot
dovecot-devel
libdovecot
dovecot-pigeonhole
dovecot-pigeonhole-devel

And while pigeonhole/sieve might require libdovecot to run, it shouldn't
require it to compile.

Thoughts? I can provide a lot more detail about my compilation errors if you
think its necessary.