[Dovecot] Problem with hard links in lda - please help

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jul 16 17:13:53 EEST 2010

On Fri, 2010-07-16 at 15:44 +0200, Fabio Ferrari wrote:

> I'm trying to enable hardlinks for messages sent to mutiple users. (I need
> this because I have mailing lists with 5000 users used many times a day).
>
> I've read that, to do this, I have to write a script that uses the
> /usr/local/libexec/dovecot/deliver
> command in this way:
> deliver -p <FILE> -d <USER1> -d <USER2>

You can't give more than -d parameter. deliver can deliver a mail only
to a single user at a time.

The important part is that your MTA calls a script (that you need to
create) that gets multiple users as parameters, and then you can call
deliver -p for each one of them separately. I don't think MTA can call
the delivery script with 5000 parameters, so there must be some
duplication always.

Also mailing lists often send separate mails to users. If this is
happening, hard linking can't be done because the mails are different.