[Dovecot] pam needs root with 2.0rc2 on Solaris?

Laurent Blume laurent at elanor.org
Mon Jul 19 11:22:35 EEST 2010

Hello all,

I have a question using PAM to authenticate on Solaris 10, with 2.0rc2.
I need to set the user for auth-worker to root, else it will return
"Unknown user". Is that expected? I'm using PAM, so why does it need
access to /etc/shadow?

TIA!

Laurent

service auth-worker {
   # Auth worker process is run as root by default, so that it can access
   # /etc/shadow. If this isn't necessary, the user should be changed to
   # $default_internal_user.
   user = root
   #user = dovecot
}

Jul 18 09:59:31 tiphaine dovecot: [ID 583609 mail.info] auth:
pam(user,127.0.0.1): unknown user