[Dovecot] Dovecot and SSD

Chris Hoogendyk hoogendyk at bio.umass.edu
Fri Jul 30 04:57:35 EEST 2010

Curtis Maloney wrote:
> On 07/29/10 21:40, Bryan Vyhmeister wrote:
>> On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 5:16 AM, Stan
>> Hoeppner<stan at hardwarefreak.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> How many users?
>>>

>> To start with, about 20 users. It will grow to around 100 users at
>> the max.
>
> Umm... apart from "shiney toys", is there any legitemate reason for
> such expense on performance tuning?
>
> I ask because we have about 30 users using our IMAP server (Dovecot
> 1.1), which also serves as our main Samba server, and until recently
> was also a CUPS server.
>
> This on a Sun V100 ( 450MHz UltraSPARC-IIi ) with 1G RAM and two dull,
> standard IDE HDDs ( a 40GB for OS and mail, and a 320GB for Samba).

I was going to bring up something like that, but I wasn't sure it was
fair comparing my server.

I do not have SSD's. But, I have a larger user base and I have a Sun
T5220, which is 8 core, 8 threads per core, etc. The drives are 15Krpm
SAS. Using Sendmail, mimedefang, Dovecot, Squirrelmail, etc. Also
running Apache2 with Drupal, MySQL, gene sequencing apps, PostgreSQL,
Samba for file sharing and printer spooling, as well as some other
stuff. Squirrelmail/Dovecot is virtually instantaneous even with very
large mbox format inboxes. Thunderbird mail checks via Dovecot are also
virtually instantaneous. I have over 1500 accounts on the system,
although probably only a few hundred are very active. Granted, it is
summer, and things will pick up in the Fall, but I doubt it will push
this server too much.

--

Chris Hoogendyk

-