[Dovecot] A new director service in v2.0 for NFS installations

Brandon Davidson brandond at uoregon.edu
Tue Jun 1 02:30:36 EEST 2010

Timo,

On 5/31/10 4:13 PM, "Timo Sirainen" <tss at iki.fi> wrote:
> You need to put the other passdb/userdb to the external IP:
>
> local 1.2.3.4 {
>> userdb {
>>  driver = passwd
>> }
>> passdb {
>>  driver = sql
>>  args = /etc/dovecot/proxy-sqlite.conf
>> }
>
> }

It still doesn't seem to work. I tried this, with no userdb/passdb outside a
local block:

local 128.223.142.138 {
  userdb {
    driver = passwd
  }
  passdb {
    driver = sql
    args = /etc/dovecot/proxy-sqlite.conf
  }
}
local 10.142.0.162 {
  userdb {
    driver = passwd
  }
  passdb {
    driver = pam
  }
}

But I got this error in the log file upon connecting to the external IP:

May 31 16:20:42 cc-popmap7 dovecot: auth: Fatal: No passdbs specified in
configuration file. PLAIN mechanism needs one
May 31 16:20:42 cc-popmap7 dovecot: master: Error: service(auth): command
startup failed, throttling
May 31 16:20:42 cc-popmap7 dovecot: master: Error: service(director): child
5339 killed with signal 11 (core dumps disabled)
May 31 16:20:42 cc-popmap7 dovecot: master: Error: service(director):
command startup failed, throttling

So I added a global passdb/userdb:

userdb {
  driver = passwd
}
passdb {
  driver = pam
}
local 128.223.142.138 {
  userdb {
    driver = passwd
  }
  passdb {
    driver = sql
    args = /etc/dovecot/proxy-sqlite.conf
  }
}
local 10.142.0.162 {
  userdb {
    driver = passwd
  }
  passdb {
    driver = pam
  }
}

And again it uses the global passdb for all requests, ignoring the contents
of the local blocks.

-Brad