[Dovecot] Dovecot aspects of fighting spam

Stan Hoeppner stan at hardwarefreak.com
Tue Jun 1 19:17:32 EEST 2010

Phil Howard put forth on 6/1/2010 9:15 AM:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 10:04, Jerry <dovecot.user at seibercom.net> wrote:
>
>> The fight against SPAM is NOT Dovecots responsibility.
>
> Whose responsibility is it to get detected spam delivered into the
> correct folder?  Dovecot deliver is typically used to deliver into the
> Inbox(es).  It would be involved.

It's the MTA's responsibility to _REJECT_ spam attempts at SMTP time.  It's
the mail OP's responsibility to properly configure the MTA to do so.  Spam
fighting should be performed pre queue, not post queue.

I suggest you bone up on modern spam fighting techniques.  Post queue content
analysis is not the proper way to fight spam, especially in 2010.

--
Stan