[Dovecot] Sieve GUI

Frank Cusack frank+lists/dovecot at linetwo.net
Tue Jun 1 21:45:04 EEST 2010

On 6/1/10 2:10 PM -0400 Phil Howard wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 1, 2010 at 13:42, e-frog <e-frog at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> This might be helpful:
>>
>>  http://wiki.dovecot.org/ManageSieve/
>
> Right now only time for a quick look.  Looks like yet another server
> with yet another protocol (via port 4190), rather than integrated into
> IMAP as an extension.  I'm doubting all my email clients have support
> for this.

You're wrong on it being another server; it does work within IMAP.  But
you are right in that almost no clients support it.  Mulberry and
thunderbird are the only ones I know of.  However, there are web clients
that work and given that sieve scripts are rarely modified it probably
isn't too hard to justify forcing your user to go to a web page; much
more possible than forcing them to change mail readers.

> Looks like I will need to do a lot of reading on Sieve and ManageSieve
> to be sure it's safe.  For one thing, I want to turn the vacation
> feature off unless it can cross check a list of valid senders (user
> contacts).

Not possible.  You'd have to implement your own customized support
for that.

-frank