[Dovecot] auth socket goes away on reload

William Blunn bill+dovecot at blunn.org
Thu Jun 3 21:17:02 EEST 2010

>>> from=<user2 at example.com>   to=<user at example.com>   proto=ESMTP
>>> helo=<localhost.localdomain>
>>>
>>> Jun  3 00:23:02 xxx postfix/smtpd[14930]: warning: unknown[dd.dd.dd.dd]:
>>> SASL LOGIN authentication failed: Connection lost to authentication
>>> server
>>> Jun  3 00:23:02 xxx postfix/smtpd[14930]: lost connection after AUTH
>>> from unknown[dd.dd.dd.dd]
>>>
>>> Is there an obvious way around this? I know I could somehow merge the
>>> changes into the running sqlite db but that undermines the simplicity of
>>> the design I have. Maybe a patch to reopen the db if it's replaced? Or
>>> perhaps I should just switch to a different db format -- that's probably
>>> the quickest/easiest solution. Any other ideas? There are about 20k
>>> entries to deal with.
>>>
>> It sounds like your updates arrive in the shape of entire-table updates.
>>
>> That is no problem. You can easily apply entire-table updates to the
>> database without having to re-create the SQLite database file, and
>> without having to tell Dovecot.
>>
>> Just create a new table (with a different name) inside the SQLite
>> database file, with the new content, then snap it into place using a
>> pair of table renames inside a transaction; then delete the old table.
>>
>> That way you don't need to re-create the database file or HUP Dovecot,
>> and Dovecot will only ever see the old data or the new data.
>>
> That sounds reasonable, not sure why I didn't think of it! Thanks.

If you are going to keep the SQLite database around, you might want to
look at vacuuming it periodically using either VACUUM or the auto_vacuum
PRAGMA depending on what fits your context best.

http://sqlite.org/lang_vacuum.html
http://sqlite.org/pragma.html#pragma_auto_vacuum

Bill