[Dovecot] How to autosubscribe Folder in dovecot

Pascal Volk user+dovecot at localhost.localdomain.org
Mon Jun 7 08:25:10 EEST 2010

On 06/06/2010 07:13 PM mungalal2000 at indiatimes.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have changed my imap server from courier to dovecot, Now i am facing problem to subscribe the existing mail folder after change of imap server by default they are showing in the unsubscribe folder list, is there any command or mechanism in dovecot to subscribe all the folder. i am using maildir format to store mail.

Subscribing to mailboxes is such a simple thing. So I'm not sure if I
understood your question.

Let me answer the last past first. When using Dovecot >= v2.0, then yes:
for b in `doveadm mailbox list`; do doveadm mailbox subscribe $b; done

Subscribing to a mailbox is usually a client action. No need for the the
admin to waste its time. ;-)

The 'Migration: Courier to Dovecot'¹ page mentions also:
* Courier's courierimapsubscribed file is compatible with Dovecot's
  subscriptions file, but you need to remove the "INBOX." prefixes from
  the mailboxes. This is true even if you set namespace prefix to
  "INBOX." as described above.

To remove the 'INBOX.' prefix manually, you can use sed:
sed -i "s|^INBOX\.\\(.*\\)|\1|" subscriptions

Regards,
Pascal
--
1 = http://wiki.dovecot.org/Migration/Courier