[Dovecot] Questions about migration Sun Messaging -> Dovecot+Postfix+Ldap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Jun 7 20:00:07 EEST 2010

On su, 2010-06-06 at 14:38 +0200, Javier de Miguel Rodríguez wrote:

>      1) We are unable to make dbox work with quota, but we have no
> problem with maildir. Quota is stored in a ldap attibute called "mailQuota"

I don't really recommend using dbox in v1.2. It has much better
performance and stability in v2.0. Anyway, with dbox you'll have to use
dict quota instead of maildir quota.

>      2) A user can be in different branches in the same time: for
> example, a teacher called pepito should be in the
> uid=pepito,o=us.es,dc=us,dc=es branch but if that teacher is also a
> student should  have another ldap entry
> uid=pepitosurname,o=us.es,dc=us,dc=es. Our identity management is the
> piece of software that "promotes" a user in that case. How should we use
> "mail_location" to addres this?

You mean both pepito at us.es and pepitosurname at alum.us.es (did you forget
alum above?) should point to same mail directory? There would have to be
some kind of a common identifier between them in LDAP.

>      4)  Some users could have their mailboxes "disabled". We use the
> following line: user_filter =
> (&(objectClass=inetorgperson)(uid=%n)(mailUserStatus=active)) but it
> does NOT work as expected. Any idea)

You should do it also for pass_filter. But other than that, I'd guess it
should work.

>      6) I have read carefully perfomance in dovecot wiki. Can I use
> noatime in /etc/fstab safely with dovecot?

Yes.

> Any perfomance hint apart
> from we already have in our config files?

Wiki lists most of the things I can think of.

>      7) When we set vacation messages they work but we see this error in
> the log:   dovecot: deliver(jorgelp):
> file_dotlock_create(~/.dovecot.lda-dupes) failed: No such file or directory

Your userdb doesn't return a home directory for users.
http://wiki.dovecot.org/VirtualUsers/Home

>      8) When a user log in she uses his username "mary" (without @us.es
> or @alum.us.es) . Our dovecot search in all the ldap tree until it finds
> that uid. But we would like to store in our mail_location /buzones/us.es
> or /buzones/alum.us.es. How can we accomplish this? We should use the
> "upper branch name" as part of the mail_location.

pass_attrs = .., someField=domain, ..

where someField contains the us.es or alum.us.es. If there's no such
field, I guess there's no way to do it.

> auth default_with_listener:
>    mechanisms: plain login
>    passdb:
>      driver: ldap
>      args: /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>    userdb:
>      driver: ldap
>      args: /etc/dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf
> auth default:
>    mechanisms: plain login
>    passdb:
>      driver: ldap
>      args: /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf
>    userdb:
>      driver: ldap
>      args: /etc/dovecot-ldap.conf

Don't add more than one auth block, now it's sometimes (more or less
randomly) using dovecot-ldap-userdb.conf and other times
dovecot-ldap.conf for userdb lookups.