[Dovecot] Evolution and Thunderbird do different things?

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Wed Jun 9 19:07:08 EEST 2010

On 09/06/10 16:15, Phil Howard wrote:
> I'm trying both Evolution and Thunderbird on my IMAP server, and find
> that there are differences in how some things are done, between
> clients.  Shouldn't there have been a standard way to do these things
> in the IMAP protocol?  The first thing I noticed is that when deleting
> email from one client, it puts a "T" on the file name, leaving it
> where it is, and from the other client, it moves the mail to a
> ".Trash" directory on the server (and created a 2nd "Trash" folder ...
> so now I have 2 "Trash" folders, one with some deleted mail in it, and
> the other with some deleted mail in it).
>
> I'm not saying Dovecot has a problem here.  But maybe IMAP the
> protocol does for not having a standard way to do things, and these
> clients, for not doing it the same way (if there is some standard
> somewhere).  Any IMAP experts here know what the story is with this?

Hi,

The IMAP protocol does not define folder names and such. Servers and
clients only know how to create/remove/rename/relocate folders and
files, and some other basics. The names that are used by default, is a
choice of the user (mostly the default settings in the users' client).

'Trash' is the default trashcan folder in thunderbird, but in MS Outlook
it's 'Deleted Items' (not even mentioning differences related to locale
settings). When interpreting your experience with Evolution (never used
it myself), I guess that it doesn't use the trashcan folder concept at
all, but in stead flags a message as 'Trash', in the same way that you
would set 'Seen' or 'Important' flags, and treats these message
different from a UI perpective. AFAIK only the INBOX is a well-known
default (and maybe even part of some RFC).

You could try to set up all clients' prefs to use the same naming
scheme, and the same way of trash handling, when possible.

--
Regards,
	Tom