[Dovecot] Evolution and Thunderbird do different things?

Tom Hendrikx tom at whyscream.net
Wed Jun 9 21:02:44 EEST 2010

On 09/06/10 19:12, Phil Howard wrote:

> But that would mean there is some mechanism in IMAP for these flags.
> Dovecot is attaching the flag 'T'.  But what does 'T' mean?  If IMAP
> allows setting flags with arbitrary letters, then 'T' could mean Trash
> for one client and Terrorist for another client, or no meaning at all
> for yet another.

Flags was actually the wrong phrase, the correct term is IMAP keywords.
The way that Dovecot handles this internally, is described in
http://wiki.dovecot.org/MailboxFormat/Maildir .

But it has no use to investigate the inner workings of dovecot when all
clients see the data through the same interface. Dovecot will tell all
clients which keywords your message has. Some clients just treat some
keywords 'special'.

In https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/13983
(google is a bad company but a great tool!) there is a nice thread about
differences of trash implementations between Evolution and 'the others'.

> That'll be the hard part ... that I was was afraid of.  It will
> require getting everyone to use their clients in the same way,
> disrupting what they already do.  I guess it isn't much of a problem
> for most people because they rarely share a mailbox between different
> people with different clients.

Recalling now, I think this issue triggered me to ditch Evolution after
2 days of testing some years ago, and into using the same client
everywhere. But YMMV...

--
Regards,
	Tom