[Dovecot] Thunderbird namespace handling

Thomas Hummel hummel at pasteur.fr
Fri Jun 11 16:56:09 EEST 2010

On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 02:48:57PM +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On to, 2010-06-10 at 18:18 +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> > > See this thread:
> > > http://mailman2.u.washington.edu/pipermail/imap-protocol/2010-May/001076.html
> >
> > I've read it but I still don't get the point :
> >
> > I thought "hidden = no" would advertise this namespace for clients
> > which support NAMESPACE and that "list = yes" would allow clients which
> > don't support NAMESPACE to access this namespace ?
> >
> > What's wrong with that ?
>
> The point of that thread was: With list=yes the client already can
> access the mailboxes in it without knowing anything about namespaces, so
> listing it also in namespaces is pointless.

The thread you pointed insisted on the fact that the list "" * command
should not cross namespaces boudaries. So how can a client list
mailboxes of a namespace if it doesn't discover the namespace name first
?

That's why I thought :

  . a modern client which supports NAMESPACE, will discover the
    namespace name (hidden=no) and list it's content (list=yes).

  . an old or bad client which doesn't support NAMESPACE will have to
    have the namespace(s) hard-coded in its' config

But maybe you mean that dovecot list the namespace content anyway if
list = yes without having the need for the client to know anything about
the namespace ? In that case, wouldn't it break the "list don't cross
namespace boundaries" ?

--
Thomas Hummel 	    | Institut Pasteur
<hummel at pasteur.fr> | Pôle informatique - systèmes et réseau