[Dovecot] Thunderbird namespace handling

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Jun 11 18:01:27 EEST 2010

On pe, 2010-06-11 at 16:52 +0200, Thomas Hummel wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 11, 2010 at 03:41:29PM +0100, Timo Sirainen wrote:
>
> > No. The list=yes means if the parent namespace should include this
> > namespace's mailboxes in its LIST reply, i.e. break namespace
> > boundaries.
>
> Not sure we're talking about the same thing.
> Let's say I have :
>
>   x namespace
>   * NAMESPACE (("" "/")) (("#shared/" "/")) NIL
>   x OK Namespace completed.
>
> If the shared namespace is configured with list=yes. Can a client list
> this namespace mailboxes without specifying somewhere in the list
> command arguments the prefix "#shared/" ? Is yes, how and why ?

If client does LIST "" * it sees:

..
* LIST (\Noselect) "#shared"
* LIST (\Noselect) "#shared/user"
* LIST () "#shared/user/box"
..

> Has it something to do with the parent namespace beeing always, at a top
> level the default (i.e. wihthout prefix) namespace ?

If you had namespaces with prefixes "#shared/" and "foobar/", doing a
LIST "" * would still show both namespaces' mailboxes. Of course LIST ""
foobar/* wouldn't show #shared/*.

> If it cannot, there's no "crossing namespace boundaries" pb.

Crossing namespace boundaries means a single LIST command listing
mailboxes from more than one namespace.