[Dovecot] Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Wed Jun 16 14:29:10 EEST 2010

On 2010-06-16 1:15 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Charles Marcus put forth on 6/15/2010 12:44 PM:
>
>> Waiting almost always keeps me from any major bugs from new packages
>> (one exception was a minor update to mailman that changed directory
>> locations), and still lets me stay up to date with the latest stable
>> releases.

> I waited "forever" to get hold of 1.2.10 in the form of the backport for
> Debian Lenny, which was the first 1.2.x backport available IIRC (I hate
> installing apps from source for many reasons).

Again - this is why I have never been inclined to even give debian a
try... with gentoo, with a very few minor exceptions, the most I've ever
had to wait was a few weeks...

> Once I installed it I almost immediately found problems with
> performance. I reported the symptoms here, and within a day or two
> Timo identified the cause relating to mbox processing and fixed it.
> It took a couple/three weeks IIRC before the 1.2.11 backport with
> this fix was available. I installed it and it fixed my problems
> instantly.

What does this have to do with sticking with 'really stable' 1.1.x? You
do realize that 1.1.x had any number of similar situations with certain
releases, right?

> I agree with Charles' logic in most cases, but as shown above, not
> all cases.

<snip>

> Broken functionality issues are identified and fixed rather quickly
> as they usually hit multiple OPs simultaneously.

I am *always* prepared to roll back to a previous non-broken version in
the case of an upgrade gone bad.

We are not in disagreement, we just apparently do things differently. I
prefer the 'rolling release' type of system that always has *everything*
reasonably up to date, and gentoo gives me that.

--

Best regards,

Charles