[Dovecot] OT Re: Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Wed Jun 16 14:49:14 EEST 2010

caution OS war related statements within  :)

On Wed, 2010-06-16 at 07:29 -0400, Charles Marcus wrote:

> We are not in disagreement, we just apparently do things differently. I
> prefer the 'rolling release' type of system that always has *everything*
> reasonably up to date, and gentoo gives me that.

As does Slackware, however I have a problem convincing PV to include
dovecot in mainstream, but hey, he still prefers sendmail over postfix,
which is fine for system  only users, but most of us do a lot more, and
Claus has told me directly they will never support MySQL so we removed
them from use, and, most serious sys admins use source anyway, it is in
my opinion that all serious system admins should always use source for
key daemons as you can build it to include and not include what you
require, not rely on some bloated, out dated, feature-less distro build.

I will never use debian or its derivatives for its outdated crud, and I
would rather not use RHEL because of its old but patched methods, gentoo
and slackware are the only two serious "Linux" OS's that should ever be
in a serious data centre, IMHO.