[Dovecot] Logout after SSL/TLS negociation

bmfr bastien.murzeau at palomanetworks.com
Wed Jun 16 12:22:38 EEST 2010

Hi All,

I've set up Dovecot to use my signed SSL certificate and IMAP client is
using STARTTLS on port 143 without secure authentication.

The TLS negociation process seems to go through ok but once the negociation
is finished the client sends an IMAP LOGOUT message; he does not try to
authenticate, below is the Dovecot's info log:

dovecot: 2010-06-15 15:37:01 Info: auth(default): new auth connection:
pid=3932
dovecot: 2010-06-15 15:37:03 Info: imap-login: Aborted login (0
authentication attempts): rip=130.100.32.54, lip=10.0.3.3, TLS

I've decrypted the TLS negociation thanks to Wireshark (in SSL preferences I
added the certificate's private key to decode the stream between client and
server) but unfortunately it does not say why the client is sending the
LOGOUT command.

Do you have an idea of what could be wrong in my server set up? What
debugging process would you advise me to follow?

Thanks a lot for your precious help.

Bastien