[Dovecot] OT - Re: Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Wed Jun 16 20:18:01 EEST 2010

>> Gentoo supports just as many:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_Linux_distributions#Architecture_support
>>
> Yes, but Gentoo isn't supplying binaries.  The amount of project time/effort
> to get all those Debian binaries compiled and out the door is gargantuan
> compared to the Gentoo source model.  My point was that building binaries is
> one of the reasons it takes Debian so long to get a new release out.  AFAIK,
> Gentoo isn't shackled with this issue.

Hmm, not as much as you think.  Actually you can kind of turn Redhat
into Gentoo if instead of distributing the actual binaries, instead you
distribute the SRPMS and let the user build the software locally...  If
we just hold that thought for a moment (and kick some holes in the
idea...) we can see that we would still need to build the binaries to
check that the SRPMS actually build correctly.  And more importantly we
need to build them all in random permutations to check that other
packages work ok in conjunction with them!

Gentoo is somewhat more complicated than this example because a given
"package" can usually build more or less functionality by enabling
option flags (USE flags) and hence testing a package is stable really
involves considering not just whether the whole system will build ok
with (say) Dovecot installed, but also whether it will all build
correctly with Dovecot installed, but with/without SSL support,
with/without POP support, etc, etc

So, I think all of the packaging options all have a good deal of
complexity and all deal with it very well all things considered...
Definitely though Gentoo does not just release a new source package and
mark it stable without quite a number of binaries having been built from
that package...

(Just to cover the flip side of this - people also get over hung up
about binaries not being provided by upstream.  I have a lot of servers
to manage due to excessive use of vservers as a virtualisation option -
what I do is use a common set of configurations across servers (or at
least a minimal set, say one for web servers, another for mail servers)
and then build packages only once and hence most servers simply pull
down binaries.  This means I can test on a single machine and then once
that's verified as ok the other machines pull binaries down, much like a
Redhat/Debian machine does)

>>> Debian Stable has been averaging about 2 years between releases. Two
>>> years is a _LONG_ damn time to wait for a new rev of say, Dovecot.

Do you not think this is really a function of two main reasons:

1) Finite developers. Manpower is limited

2) Preference for correctness over "freshness"

Point 2) means that they tend not to call something stable until there
is no reported bug at all filed against it with respect to any other
stable package on any architecture?  This seems to cause a lot of non
trivial packages to wait a long time before being bumped simply due to
the number of possible dependencies and the effect of point 1) above?

I'm not sure it's "wrong", it's just not always what YOU want..?  I know
it doesn't suit me, but then again I'm just one data point...

> is fine.  They just need to be Johnny on the spot WRT getting the new releases
> into backports in a timely manner.  With Dovecot they're actually not that
> bad.

Seems to my uneducated eye that a lot of users of these "stability over
freshness" distros (ie Debian/Redhat) actually seem to want "freshness"
for large chunks of their system and end up patching in a bunch of extra
repos which then in a way seem kind of counter to the ethos of the
distro they chose in the first place?

It seems like a compromise would be for the likes of Debian/Redhat to
have a clear split between "Apps" and "System" and offer the option to
stay "fresh but tested" on the apps repo, but "stable and mouldy" on the
System repo?

Anyway, Linux is all about choice so it's great all these options
exist.  I think it would be even better if we could try and get more of
the distros to pull in the same direction mind... but it seems to be
slowly getting there.  Those who have strong unix kung-foo, definitely
checkout a source based distro such as Gentoo, it's not really useful to
those who just want a point and click system (most of the world), but
for those who can dig a little deeper it's an excellent and often
overlooked option!

Good luck

Ed W