[Dovecot] Ok, I've given up

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Jun 17 14:34:17 EEST 2010

On 17.6.2010, at 6.59, Chuck McManis wrote:

> First, part of this effort was to move off of an APOP infrastructure into
> something more secure against password eavesdropping. To that end I've
> configured Dovecot with simply:
>
> protocols = pop3
> service pop3-login {
>  inet_listener pop3s {
>    port = 995
>    ssl = yes
>  }
> }
>
> Note that there is NO port = 110 listener and yet Dovecot seems to listen
> there anyway.

Yes, it's doing that by default. If you want to disable it, use

service pop3-login {
  inet_listener pop3 {
    port = 0
  }
}

> My question, can I be sure that it is not accepting non-SSL
> based connections?

disable_plaintext_auth = yes is also default, so it won't allow users to log in via non-SSL anyway (with 110 port it requires starttls). Of course, this might not prevent some clients from trying to send the password anyway.

> Question 2) Is there any way to run dovecot from tcpserver ?

v1.x yes (but there have been some problems), v2.0 no.

> One of the things I like is the program tcpserver. I like it because I can
> simply "not allow" large chunks of the internet to connect at all to certain
> ports.

v2.0 supports tcpwrappers if that helps.