[Dovecot] OT - Re: Dovecot 1.1.x and 1.2.x differencies

Ed W lists at wildgooses.com
Thu Jun 17 14:45:14 EEST 2010

On 16/06/2010 19:14, Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-06-16 1:18 PM, Ed W wrote:
>
>> It seems like a compromise would be for the likes of Debian/Redhat to
>> have a clear split between "Apps" and "System" and offer the option to
>> stay "fresh but tested" on the apps repo, but "stable and mouldy" on the
>> System repo?
>>
> Exactly... even gentoo could benefit from this concept, although I'm not
> sure how hard it would be to implement...

Hmm, well system packages are those defined in your profile.  I guess at
the simplest you could simply use a wrapper so that "emerge world" runs
with a different ACCEPT_KEYWORDS to "emerge system"?

Note that if you haven't experimented with running your own custom
profiles then I would highly recommend it!  I start with the generic
hardened profiles and then create my own tree in
/usr/local/portage/profiles and then have sub profiles for different
server types, eg mail / mysql / www_nginx / www_apache / etc

This allows me to centralise my USE flags and required software
versions.  I then use copious linux-vservers to run apps at a very
granular level (pretty much each web site gets it's own vserver) and
it's highly memory efficient and very simple to update.  The host server
runs very few apps and I can easily bump services to a different
physical server very easily.  Figure out how to sync the storage between
nodes and assuming you have that sorted then high availability becomes
fairly straightforward case of simply moving the IP addresses between
nodes and bringing up the vservers on the node of your choice -
moderately straightforward as HA goes...

linux-vserver comes with a bunch of wrappers around emerge that allow
you to easily update lots of servers quite quickly.  Very neat.  I
emerge with "-k --new-use" which forces a build of a package if the use
flags don't match, but otherwise uses the available binary

Cheers

Ed W