[Dovecot] Ok, I've given up

William Blunn bill at blunn.org
Thu Jun 17 15:33:32 EEST 2010

Ed W wrote:
> How are you backing up to S3? Most of the options I have seen have
> some serious issues that limit reliable full backups?  Its been on my
> todo list for some time now to fix the C s3fs implementation that you
> find here: http://code.google.com/p/s3fs/ - code is shocking and could
> easily be fixed up pretty well...
>
> http://s3tools.org/ - seems maintained, but not used it?
>
> Brackup seems excellent, but has only an initial patch to support
> backing up user permissions, so at this stage seems more useful for
> data files than a whole system backup?
>
> Also you have the option of cheap hosting through the likes of say
> Dreamhost or Kimsufi
>     http://www.kimsufi.co.uk/ks/
> £15/month for a single machine with a single 250GB (non backed up)
> disk.  Twice that price can get you multiple TB disks.  Use this plus
> rsync?
>
> Not really sure where the sweet spot is here, but unsure what S3
> really buys us?

I would imagine it would be some variation on dumping databases, making
tarballs, chopping up into <5GB pieces and then uploading them with
s3cmd (s3tools.org).

Over and above rented server storage, S3 should provide multi-site
redundancy (coverage against a plane making an unscheduled landing into
the data centre).

Bill