[Dovecot] ACL, forced INBOX subscription

Matthias Rieber ml-dovecot at zu-con.org
Fri Jun 18 09:46:30 EEST 2010

Hi,

I've two accounts 'matthias' and 'mailverwalter'. Mailverwalter want's to
share the Spam folder:

This is the situation in the beginning:

(matthias)
a LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "common." "*"
a OK List completed.
a LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "common.mailverwalter" "*"
a OK List completed.

(mailverwalter)
a GETACL Spam
* ACL "Spam" "mailverwalter" lrwstipekxacd
a OK Getacl completed.
a GETACL INBOX
* ACL "INBOX" "mailverwalter" lrwstipekxacd
a OK Getacl completed.

So far so good. Mailverwalter sets the list permission:

(mailverwalter)
a SETACL "Spam" "matthias" l
a OK Setacl complete.
a GETACL "Spam"
* ACL "Spam" "matthias" l "mailverwalter" lrwstipekxacd
a OK Getacl completed.
a GETACL "INBOX"
* ACL "INBOX" "mailverwalter" lrwstipekxacd
a OK Getacl completed.

That's ok as well and I want to make sure that the INBOX doesn't have any
other permission.
After that, some listing:

(matthias)
a LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "common." "*"
a OK List completed.
a LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "common.mailverwalter." "*"
a OK List completed.

That's also ok, nothing subscribed.

(matthias)
a LIST "common.mailverwalter." "*"
* LIST (\Noselect \HasChildren) "." "common.mailverwalter"
* LIST (\HasNoChildren) "." "common.mailverwalter.Spam"
a OK List completed.

This normal folder listing seems to be ok, too, and then listing of the
subcribed folders again:

(matthias)
a LIST (SUBSCRIBED) "common.mailverwalter." "*"
* LIST (\Subscribed \NonExistent) "." "common.mailverwalter.INBOX"
a OK List completed.

And then, the INBOX is subscribed and \NonExistent because I don't have
permissions on it. The folder stays subscribed as long as I'm connected to
the server. When I disconnect and do the LIST (SUBSCRIBED) again, the
folder is not subscribed as long I do not 'normal' list it. Happens with
dovecot 1.2.11, haven't tried 2.0 yet. I assume that's not the intended
behaviour. This INBOX folder confuses the Nokia n900 email client a lot,
but it doesn't matter if it can be accessed or not.

Regards,

Matthias