[Dovecot] Error: dict: Leaked a t_pop() call

Brendan McCollam bmccollam at mediatemple.net
Sun Jun 20 00:05:33 EEST 2010

> Date: Sat, 19 Jun 2010 20:43:13 +1000
> From: Noel Butler<noel.butler at ausics.net>
> Subject: Re: [Dovecot] Error: dict: Leaked a t_pop() call
>
> *shakes head*  who cares what version they have, it is outdated, and any
> bugs may have been found and fixed  years ago! The same applies to
> ancient debian versions as well, in ANY software you have issues with,
> it is wise to use their latest current stable before asking them for
> help, be it dovecot, apache, postfix, bind... or  whatever :) As
> developers hate wasting their time on ancient resolved bugs. sadly
> people who decide to only rely upon the ancient distro versions need to
> remember they are really  "use at your own risk" packages.

Thanks for the information. I'm not trying to waste your time, and I
wasn't really asking for 'help' per se, as much as simply a clear answer
about whether that error was even worth worrying about. I'm well aware
that 1.0.7 is a pretty old release, and you don't have much control over
what the distro maintainers choose to package.

Generally speaking, I think there are advantages (not introducing
incompatibility with other software, simple dependency resolution,
automatic security updates, etc.) to sticking with repo versions, unless
you have a compelling reason to do otherwise. In this case, the bugfixes
and improvements in quota accuracy are a good reason to upgrade.

> Please download 1.2.12, the current stable release, however read the
> release notes because some settings will be incompatible with 1.0.x.
> there wont be too many differences but might be some, depending on your
> setup.

I have moved to 1.2.12 and updated my dovecot-dict-quota.conf file, and
it seems to be working great.

Thanks again.