[Dovecot] step-to-step Installation Guide

Eric Shubert ejs at shubes.net
Wed Jun 23 18:57:35 EEST 2010

Charles Marcus wrote:
> On 2010-06-23 11:03 AM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> Are you running other services on your server, or will it be dedicated
>> to email? If the later, you might want to look into
>> http://qmailtoaster.com/.
>
> Bad advice imo. QMail is dead, it just doesn't know it yet. :)
>
> Seriously thought, the only person who should be using qmail is someone
> who has been using it forever and knows it inside and out - and I would
> *still* argue that they should just admit the truth and move on.
>
> Do yourself a favor and don't go down that road. The best two open
> source MTA's are postfix and Exim, so you should be using one of them
> unless there is a compelling reason to use something else. I personally
> prefer postfix, but only because that's all I've ever used. I've heard
> nothing but good things about Exim, so you wouldn't be going wrong
> either way.

This is valid advice, but perhaps incomplete. QMT is not simply qmail,
and I wish qmail weren't a part of it.

I prefer postfix as well, and hope that one day QMT will migrate to
using postfix. As a complete turnkey email solution though, I don't
believe that anything compares to QMT. It's trivial to set up, very
reliable and efficient. The level of expertise needed to run it is very
low, and there is great community support.

Looking at the big picture, QMT can be a good choice in many circumstances.

--
-Eric 'shubes'